St John’s Lutheran Church in St Petersburg
Dekabristide 54a, Peterburg, Venemaa,
The Neo-Roman church building was re-consecrated in 2011. The original exterior appearance of the building, which had been rebuilt after expropriation, was restored in the spring of 2010. The building has a modern interior design and the hall is in active use as a concert venue.
Originally, the Neo-Roman church had 800 seats and could accommodate up to 2,000 persons in total. There was a parish house next to the church, with apartments for the pastor, assistant pastor and parish clerk; the same building also housed the Estonian school and a shelter for the poor.
The church building was expropriated from the parish in 1930. The spire was demolished, the building was supplied with inserted ceilings and a semicircular stairwell on the façade.
The original exterior appearance of the building, which had been rebuilt after expropriation, was restored in the spring of 2010. The 38 meter spire is topped by a 6.6 tonne helmet with a golden cross.
The building was consecrated on 20 February 2011. It has a modern interior finishing. In addition to church services, the building serves as a venue for many concerts organised by Eesti Kontsert.